Taking down a wet tipi
Never store a wet tipi. It can quickly become ruined with mildew. Remove the door. Remove the pegs. Remove the lacing pins. Thread the smoke flap ropes through the lacing pin and hold below the doorway. Tie them so the door area is elevated (to enhance drying). Only when the tipi is dry, proceed with the following directions. more about tipi care and storage
Taking down a dry tipi
- Remove door.
- Carefully remove smoke flap poles.
- Remove pegs.
- Remove laving pins.
- Fold the tipi on the poles, as described in the "tipi folding" section.
- Lower the lifting pole and the tipi.
- Untie tipi from lifting pole.
- Tipi should always be repaired and refolded before storing.
Taking down the poles
If the poles are to come down... Unwrap the tripod rope. Take the poles down in reverse order from pitching. lower tripod poles. remove tripod rope (tripod rope should always be re-tied.) Store poles standing up or off the ground. Care should be taken to avoid breaking poles.
If the poles are to stay up
If the poles are to stay up, replace the lifting pole and smoke flap poles in the original lifting pole space.